2012-05-30

Learning German in German


Just one example

I would say Germans are quite rational and not stupid people, they are not flying somewhere high in a sky like some other more sensual nations in South or East of Europe. Also they had difficult historical lessons about nationalism, so are not supposed to be so stubborn like French or Polish then it comes to their native language.

But how would you explain me this. I was looking for German language courses in Berlin. I thought if I am already here, why not learn at least basics. So I did my googling. And my discovery was that offering you to learn German, schools provide information about their courses also in German! My logic says if a person wants to learn German, there is quite a possibility that she/he doesn’t speak this language, so will not be able to understand info provided in German. But Germans don’t think so. Part or sometimes even all info about German language courses (yes I clicked on a little UK or USA flag or a symbol EN) they present in German.

Even more, in same schools they also teach English, so I presume they have people there who are fluent in English and could translate all that material.

But I thought maybe it’s just about websites. So I went to one of the schools. And for my surprise, lady in an office was speaking just German. Somehow we were able to communicate. But again, this school offers both English and German language courses. So how come this office lady from this school gets no free English courses to be able to communicate with customers like me, who come to learn German.

1 comment:

  1. There are institution that have German lesson plans that will be fun and exciting for children to learn.

    ReplyDelete